hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: multipart/form-data Boundary issues
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:27:23 GMT

Eric Dalquist wrote:
> I've been looking through the code dealing with multipart form uploads
> and have a few questions. First off, what happens if the text that
> someone is uploading contains the boundary text since it is hard coded
> in this implementation?

Eric,
Actually a hard coded boundary string is bad practice. It should be
randomly generated each time. Feel free to file a bug report.

If your text is likely to contain the boundary string, you should use
some Content-Transfer-Encoding like Base64 or quoted-printable or
something. Please refer to the respective MIME specification (RFC-2045,
RFC-2046, RFC-2047 and RFC-2049).

> Also I'm actually looking at the code to reconstruct a
> multipart/form-data message body from a set of files and named
> parameters. I don't actually want to send a request, just create the
> body and write it to a stream.

That should pose no problem.

> My only issue is that I need to be able
> to set the boundary string from my code.

Why would one want to set the boundary string explicitly? A MIME
compliant server does not care about the actual boundary string value.

  NOSE applied intelligence ag

  software engineer