hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Bloch <bl...@laszlosystems.com>
Subject Re: unable to find line starting with "HTTP"
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 05:37:35 GMT
I am seeing this exact same problem with 2.0rc1 as well.  A wget to the
server from the same client works fine.  The httpclient wire log shows
that I get a redirect and then the in waiting for the HTTP status line
from the redirect, it never comes...

What server are you running?

-Eric

Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:

> Juan,
> Usually HttpClient reports 'unable to find line starting with "HTTP"' when the target
server drops the connection without returning any response. This can happen, for instance,
if the server is being under heavy load.

> (1) If you have access to the target server, examine the server logs to see why the connection
was dropped. Fixing the problem on the server side would be the best

> (2) Another possible solution to this problem _may_ be to retry the request, provided
that the POST methods your code is supposed to execute are idempotent. If the server application,
however, has been designed in a way that it may receive a request, parse it, change the application
state (by committing some data to the data store, for instance) and then simply drop the connection
without giving any kind of response back to the client, you are in <strong>BIG</strong>
trouble, as simply retrying the same POST method case cause data inconsistency problems. So,
the best thing to do is to get in touch with the server guys and find out if it is safe to
retry POST methods.