hc-dev mailing list archives

From "David Hay" <David....@REQUISITE.com>
Subject RE: Supplying Credentials only when needed.
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 18:54:47 GMT
If you want to use the 2.0 code, you'll need to subclass HttpState and override getProxyCredentials()
to prompt for the Credentials object.  Then, when you create your HttpClient object, you'll
need to set it's HttpState to this new subclass.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell, Brian [mailto:Brian.Russell@mottmac.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 4:29 AM
To: commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Supplying Credentials only when needed.

I am using http client 2.0

I have managed to use the NTCredentials to successfully authenticate
with an NTLM proxy, by providing the credentials to the HttpState

 Credentials proxyCred = new
NTCredentials(loggedInUserName,userPassword,"",domainName);
 client.getState().setProxyCredentials(null,proxyCred);

This is all very well where I know for sure that there is an NTLM proxy
in place, and I can prompt the user for their Windows logon details, and
provide an instance of a Credentials object which is an NTCredentials.
My application, however, needs to cater for various environments, where
there may be no proxies, proxies authenticating by IP address, proxies
using Basic authentication etc etc.
Is it possible for httpclient to inform its caller when it encounters a
challenge, and to indicate what type of challenge it is. The caller can
then decide which type of Credentials object to supply to the state?

I don't know if what I am asking for exists, or if it is a new feature.
Hopefully the former.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian.

in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information
and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should
not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.