hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: IIS (NTLM) + proxy server (NTLM or basic) problem
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 11:38:42 GMT
> Lili,
> Truth to be told, NTLM proxy + NTLM host authentication has never been
> properly tested, because none of us (HttpClient developers) has got
> access to a Microsoft Proxy installation. I would not be surprised if
> it did not work at all with HttpClient 2.0. I know for a fact that
> BASIC proxy + NTLM host should work. I have been using Squid proxy to
> run the tests, though.

Woops, I didn't notice this fact.  There is absolutely no way that
HttpClient can authenticate with both an NTLM proxy and an NTLM host at
the same time.  The protocol just doesn't allow for it, mostly because
either the host or the proxy will close the connection half way through
the other's process of authentication, effectively resetting the
authentication.

If someone wanted to take the time to reverse engineer the process IE
is using while talking to the proxy and the server and work out how it
does it I'd be most interested in finding out.  Last time I
investigated this all the references I could find said it wasn't
possible to do.  In my tests with IE 5.5 and IIS as proxy and host I
couldn't make the authentication work either.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.

Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"
Ph: 38478913 0422236329