hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: GZip encoding
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 15:54:18 GMT
Hi Mark,

It's been a conscious design decision on our part to keep HttpClient content agnostic. HttpClient
makes no attempt to encode/decode (let alone guess) the request/response content encoding.
This logic can be (and usually is) highly application specific that should be implemented
on top of the standard HttpClient functionality. This said, we happily accept content specific
classes to HttpClient contrib package.

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark R. Diggory [mailto:mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 17:42
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: GZip encoding

We're having issues where content from our service is being sent GZip
encoded to the HttpClient, But with an error that its gzip transfer
encoding header isn't set properly by the server (thank our server
developer). Most browsers (and clients in perl etc) seem to catch this
error early and fall into GZip decoding. I would like to catch this
condition and have the client still gzip decode the stream. First, does
HttpClient support gzip decoding, and Second, is there a way I can force
to gzip decode if the header is broken?

thanks,
Mark