hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: MultiThreadedConnectionManager based on commons pool
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 12:25:53 GMT

Andrea,
HttpClient 2.0 implements connect timeout using a controller thread. This means when running
HttpClient 2.0 in a EJB container one MAY NOT use HttpClient#setConnectionTimeout(int). This
problem has been partially solved in the CVS HEAD. HttpClient 3.0 when running in 1.4 JRE
will use reflection to invoke 1.4 Socket#connect(SocketAddress, int) instead of using a controller
thread

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Fabris [mailto:cavaliereoscuro@email.it]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 13:17
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: MultiThreadedConnectionManager based on commons pool

Thanks, Oleg.
I've just downloaded the 3.0 latest build, and i'll take a look at it
and how it solves the idle connection problem.

Right now, i need a way to use multithread with httpclient 2.0 (that is
stable), so i think i'll use the code i've sent (because, as you said,
the patch was applied to the 3.0 branch)

However, i see that it is very important to follow the EJB spec so
httpclient could be used in an EJB container (that is, my solution is
not compatible with EJB spec).
I would like to ask you something about it: are there some other points
(other than http pooling) where httpclient has to be rewritten to be
compatible with EJB spec?

Regards
Andrea

On 07/05/2004 12.53, Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:
> Andrea,
>
> Both 2.0 & CVS HEAD nightlies are available <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/downloads.html>.
>

> This may sound a bit harsh, but I _personally_ do not see 2.0 API worthwhile of any further
development. As useful as it is HttpClient 2.0 API is fundamentally flawed in many ways. HttpClient
3.0 will resolve many of the known problems <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/httpclient/release_notes.txt?rev=1.21&view=markup>
and will render 2.0 completely obsolete. Again, this is just my personal (humble) opinion.
As long as there's substantial interest in HttpClient 2.0, it will be supported. However,
I do think all new development should take place in CVS HEAD.