hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: Multi-threaded problem (is this a bug?)
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 14:35:26 GMT

Christopher,

What connection manager are you using? If unsure, please make sure you are using the multithreaded
connection manager. Per default HttpClient uses the so called simple connection manager which
is not thread safe

For more details check out the HttpClient threading guide

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/threading.html

Hope this helps

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Foran, Christopher [mailto:Christopher.Foran@fmr.com]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 16:30
To: commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Multi-threaded problem (is this a bug?)

I have a java client which is able to create multiple threads, each thread sends a POST. I
am able to run up to 50 threads with out a problem with my current version of the client.
I want to use Httpclient but this version of the java client code give an error which says:
[Fatal Error] :1:1: Premature end of file.

I don't generate this error and don't know where it is coming from, or what is generating
it. The threads write their output to output files, each thread has its own output file. I
get one of these errors for each thread I run over 10. So if I run 15 threads I get 4 of these
messages. The only major difference between the two versions of the java clients is the Httpclient
code. The other strange thing is that all of the threads run successfully, and the output
files contain the correct data.
Am I running out of pooled connections, or something like that?  Am I able to control how
many pooled connections I start with?
Thanks.
christopher.foran@fmr.com | 617.563.4785