hc-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas Rahn <nicholas.r...@mnc.ch>
Subject RE: ConnectionTimeoutException thrown without waiting.
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 16:41:26 GMT
Hi Oleg,

Thanks for the tip.  I changed the connect timeout to 0 and the error
disappeared.

Thanks again to you and all the developers for the good work.

Nick

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 17:58, Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:
> Nicholas,
>
> HttpClient 2.0 relies on a fairly ugly trick to be able to simulate connect timeout on
older JDKs (1.2.x, 1.3.x). HttpClient simply spawns a dedicated thread that attempts to instantiate
a socket. If the process of socket instantiation takes longer than the specified limit, HttpClient
simply drops the socket on the floor and lets the garbage collection to clean up the mess.
By no means this mechanism was intended to be reliable and sometimes may lead to all sorts
of unpleasant side effects (for instance, rendering HttpClient EJB unfriendly). Would it be
possible to disable the connect timeout and see if that makes any difference? I just wonder
if the third call would still fail, if you had connect timeout disabled

> Mike,
> Any idea why closed connection is considered stale?
>
> <snip>
>     protected boolean isStale() {
>         boolean isStale = true;
>         if (isOpen) {
>             // the connection is open, but now we have to see if we can read it
>             // assume the connection is not stale.
>             isStale = false;
> </snip>
>
> This does not really affect any functional aspects but unfortunately it results lots
of scary noise in the debug log