hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: customizing debugging levels per httpclient instance
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:34:40 GMT

Jorrit,

HttpClient relies on commons-logging toolkit to do all its logging. The commons-logging itself
is merely an abstraction layer intended to provide a uniform interface to different logging
toolkits. If there is a toolkit capable of assigning different appenders on per thread basis,
then HttpClient can be configured to take advantage of it. To my best knowledge Log4j cannot
assign individual appenders to different threads within the same application (within the same
class loader context rather). You may consider evaluating a different logging toolkit that
provides such a feature, or file a feature request with the Log4j project.

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Jorrit Kronjee [mailto:httpclient@nospam.wafel.org]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 13:19
To: commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: customizing debugging levels per httpclient instance

Hello,

I have an application consisting of two threads. Both threads have an
own instance of httpclient and use it for different things. I would like
to see the wire of one of the threads, but suppress the other. I use
log4j. log4j can set the debugging level (trace or not) based on
package/class names. I was wondering if it's possible to set the class
name for http client, so i can customize my debugging per thread. Or
perhaps I'm not understanding it correctly.

If this is not possible, I would like to make this a feature request.

Thanks in advance,

Jorrit Kronjee