hc-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][PROPOSAL][RESULT] Promote HttpClient to Jakarta Level
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:26:30 GMT
To be clear : Henri is right that the PMC doesn't need to validate the
HTTPClient community's request.  However, the aspect the PMC needs to
vote on is if we want to expand jakarta via the addition of another
sub-project.  We certainly accept that the HttpClient community voted
to do this. :)

The fact that it's coming from 'inside' makes it a no-brainer - we
started the vote already and I can't see anyone having a problem, but
we should be formal about it to ensure that no one has any issue with
this.

I personally made the mistake of having the vote on the PMC list - this
one could have been a public general@ vote.  Sorry.

geir

On Apr 14, 2004, at 7:52 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Please advise us of any step in this process we're missing.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Adrian Sutton.
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Adrian Sutton <adrian@intencha.com>
>>> Date: 29 March 2004 8:47:16 PM
>>> To: Commons HttpClient Project
>>> <commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>>> Subject: [VOTE][PROPOSAL][RESULT] Promote HttpClient to Jakarta Level
>>>
>>> The vote has passed.  We will put forth the proposal below to the
>>> Jakarta
>>> PMC to move HttpClient to a Jakarta level project.  The vote details
>>> are
>>> below:
>>>
>>> +1 votes -
>>>     Adrian Sutton adrian@apache.org
>>>     Oleg Kalnichevski olegk@apache.org
>>>     Michael Becke mbecke@apache.org
>>>     dIon Gillard dion@apache.org
>>>
>>> +0 votes -
>>>     Ortwin Glück oglueck@apache.org
>>>
>>> Vote thread -
>>> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=commons-
>>> httpclient-de
>>> v@jakarta.apache.org&by=thread&from=681919
>>>

>>> (0) RATIONALE
>>> HTTP is the main protocol used today on the internet.  Although the
>>> JDK
>>> includes basic support for building HTTP-aware client applications,
>>> it
>>> doesn't provide the flexibility or ease of use needed for many
>>> projects.
>>>
>>> The current package in Jakarta-Commons is a widely used
>>> implementation
>>> with
>>> a strong community behind it.  The size of it's community and it's
>>> project
>>> has significantly outgrown the commons project and a move to a
>>> Jakarta
>>> level
>>> project would provide better support for that community and for the
>>> on
>>> going
>>> development of HttpClient.
>>>
>>> (1) SCOPE
>>> The project shall create and maintain a Java library implementing the
>>> client
>>> side of the HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 protocol, as defined in RFC 1945, RFC
>>> 2616 and
>>> RFC 2617.
>>>
>>> HttpClient also supports the following RFCs.
>>>
>>> * RFC 2109 for HTTP state management mechanism (Cookies) - an upgrade
>>> to RFC
>>> 2965 is planned for a future version of HttpClient
>>>
>>> * RFC 2396 Uniform Resoruce Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax
>>>
>>> * RFC 1867 Form-based File Upload in HTML
>>>
>>> The package should:
>>>
>>> * Have an API which should be as simple to use as possible
>>> * Be as easy to extend as possible
>>> * Provide unconditional support for HTTP/1.1
>>>
>>> The package is quite different from the HTTP client provided as part
>>> of the
>>> JDK (java.net.HttpURLConnection), as it focuses on the HTTP methods
>>> being
>>> sent (instead of making that transparent to the user), and generally

geir@4quarters.com