hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Alvarez, Gil" <...@pogo.com>
Subject question about performance
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:02:28 GMT
We recently ported our url-hitting code from using java.net.* code to
httpclient code. We use it in a high-volume environment (20 machines are
hitting an external 3rd party to retrieve images).

After the port, we saw a significant increase in cycles used by the
machines, about 2-3 times (ie, the load on the boxes increased from
using up 20% of the cpu, to about 50%-60% of the cpu.

For each request, we instantiate an HttpClient object, and a GetMethod
object, and shut things down afterwards.

In order to reduce the use of cycles, what is the recommended approach?

Thank you.