hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: @author tags
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:11:52 GMT

Eric, Roland, et al
I am a little hesitant to have (some sort of) a formal ranking system due to

(1) difficulty to keep it objective. It will inevitably require an arbiter, a someone whose
opinion would be regarded as unbiased by the overwhelming majority of HttpClient regulars.
To me, that would mean that such person should not be a committer or a contributor him/herself.
Basically it would take Jeff "Jandalf" or someone of Jeff's calibre. I am not really sure
Jeff would want to assume such a burden, and I simply can't think of anyone else not directly
involved with HttpClient who could take such a role

(2) difficulty to keep it up to date. Let us be realistic: we have difficulty to keep our
changelog up to date, let alone such a delicate matter as a ranking system.

(3) intention to keep HttpClient non-competitive. I do not think it is be a major revelation
to say that most of us contribute to Apache Jakarta because we are willing to trade some of
our free time and work for some recognition within the community of peers. Still, I do not
want HttpClient to evolve (or degrade) into a racing competition of a sort. At the moment
HttpClient is a delicate ecology that so far produced decent results. I really want to keep
it that way.

I think a simple extension to the existing changelog in a form of 'proposed by', 'inspired
by', 'contributed by', 'verified by' 'helped by', 'tested by' clauses per major change/commit
would be sufficient for the time being. Until the dust settles at the Jakarta PMC level

Thoughts?

Oleg