hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: Setting maxTotalConnections and maxHostConnections
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:54:23 GMT
Thinh,

I think those parameters can drastically affect the performance of your
system. I suggest you draw a chart of your system and fill in figures
about computational load, number of connections between machines and
traffic with the estimated number of users. Perform some load tests to
get an idea about the load. You should then be able to figure out where
is the bottleneck in your system. Is it the network? Is it the CPU on
the Flash generation or on image transformation?

By limiting the mentioned settings in HttpClient you effectively limit
the number of requests that can be processed in parallel. If you have
enough CPU power and network capacity there is no need to artificially
limit the number of parallel requests. Even if a limit is necessary,
this should be configurable on the server that processes the requests
(for instance by use of priority queues), not on the client side that
issues the requests.

The only reason for you to limit HttpClient is to save resources on the
client side. My stomach tells me that you should avoid running into the
limit you set on HttpClient or you will experience weird lag behaviour.

However, it's hard to tell what will happen in a setup as complex as
yours. So be sure to perform real-life tests.

HTH

Ortwin Glück