hc-dev mailing list archives

From Andre John Mas <a...@expedia.com>
Subject Multithreaded Connection manager question and 400+ servers
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:11:48 GMT
Hi,

At the company I work for we are developing a middleware application
that routes SOAP messages from one party too another, using HTTP. I
have suggested that we use the MultithreadedConnectionManager, though
at the moment there is some reluctence. The issue seems to be because
we are potentially connecting to 400+ different servers. The danger of
keeping a connection open could mean that there are no connections left
to connect to another server to send the messages. There are also
worries that some of the parties we connect to have basic HTTP
implementations (there are a lot of homebrew solutions in C/C++) and
therefore don't handle more than one query/answer on the same connection.

I should mention that at the moment we create a new HTTPClient for every
connection and the client is not reused across any threads.

Because of the shear volume of traffic we are likely to be handling I am
wanting to find ways of optimizing the use of every API we use, while
not breaking anything.

Has anyone used HTTPClient in this sort of situation? What is the best
way to go about using HTTPClient for this? Is there anything else I
should know?

regards

Andre