hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] suspend use of @author tags
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:35:40 GMT
Well, hmmm - I'm perfectly happy to have my name removed, or sign a CLA.

My quick scan of the files revealed what I suspect is a much longer list
of authors that probably haven't signed a CLA than just those two that
you indicate.

Rewriting the code is a drastic and expensive solution!  I would think
that we only go there in case of clear infringement, not just because
there might be.  My understanding (courtesy of Groklaw), is that with
normal copyright infringement there must be the opportunity to remedy
the infringement before any damages kick in.  That point, I think, it
would be the time to consider replacing code.  At least, that is what I
understand of US law (of course, IANAL).

-Eric.