hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: Connecting through Proxy
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 04:21:43 GMT
Hi Saifadam,

> 1) Thanks for responding. I am new to using httpclient, but in our
> case, I
> observed that if i do comment the preemptive authentication code, then
> the
> executeMethod( ) causes a "HttpRecoverableException" exception to be
> thrown.
> Also I observed the following line at the console where the exception
> was
> printed as shown below.....

It is difficult to tell what exactly is happening here.  My suspicion
is that the proxy server does not allow connection reuse (I've seen
this problem with Squid).  I bet if you use HTTP 1.0, via
HttpMethod.setHttp11(false), it will fix this problem.  A wire log
would certainly shed some more light on this subject
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html>.

> 2) When i specify the url as "http://www.google.com/" in the tutorial
> code
> then i get the following message. What is the cause/ resolution
> (preferably
> for auto redirection)?

This is because HttpClient 2.0 does not automatically handle
redirection between hosts.  There is a section on the web site that
covers this
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/redirects.html>.

Mike