hc-dev mailing list archives

From André-John Mas <aj...@newtrade.com>
Subject Performance - ConnectionManager vs none?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:51:04 GMT
Yesterday under the topic ' Memory Leaks when web server hangs' it was
suggested that using the class

    MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager

would be safer in multithreaded environments, than using

    SimpleHttpConnectionManager

That much makes sense. Now, currently in the project I am working in
we create a new HTTPClient in each thread we call, of the form

   HttpClient hc = new HttpClient();

Now I am wondering how much of performance increase, if any, there would
be in using a connection manager, of the form:

    HttpClient hc = new HttpClient(myConnectionManager);

where 'myConnectionManager' would be of the threaded sort. I should also
note that we are regularly using the same destination addresses, since
the program is a SOAP client.

Although I could spend a bit of time trying to find this out from a
test program, I am hoping to save a little time and get an answer
from someone who already has any knowledge about this issue.

regards

Andre