hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Promote HttpClient out of commons?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:03:20 GMT
The challenge with this discussion is that it is unclear whether it
really benefits a project to be TLP'd? I would highly recommend a
conservative approach in this sort of decision making, because once
you've left jakarta, I suspect you'll get alot of flak if theres a
realization afterward that it was a poor decision.

And, while this whole TLP movement is very "empowering", it also has the
risk of creating a lot of chaos, disorganization, and could rather
promote "anti-standardization" practices. I think the ultimate benefit
of Apache is that we're not a bunch of "Cowboy Programmers", but a
"Consensus Driven Meritocracy", that results in a inherent level of
interoperability and consistency.

I think ultimately you need to consider what your requirements for TLP
status are, are your needs really that drastically different from that
of other Jakarta or Apache Commons Projects that you require that
extreme a level of independence. What is it about being in Jakarta that
is a limitation?

I would probably vote -1 on such a move for a HttpClient TLP. Simply
because I think we need to keep Java related Apache projects somewhat
close together to maintain interoperability and standardized packaging
and development practices.

I understand "Gump" is currently working to get TLP status. Alot of the
arguments there seem to make more sense to me, Gump needs its
independence from jakarta to get interoperable with many other TLP and
projects external to Apache and is being implemented in multiple
languages. Gump needs that TLP status to get a foothold and become the
standard approach to Integration Testing across platform and language,
as such its a strong candidate for a flagship product for Apache.

my humble $0.02,
-Mark

--
Mark Diggory