hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: Promote HttpClient out of commons?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:43:36 GMT

Michael Becke wrote:
> In particular I would like to hear from all the regular committers,
> contributors, and users.  How do you think this move would effect
> HttpClient's visibility, community, and organization?

I see HttpClient as a Jakarta level project. As Oleg has already stated,
its design is really to be overhauled, even if a lot of its
functionality is working very well. But it has not yet reached the high
quality that ASF projects are meant to achieve. So I don't see
HttpClient as a TLP (yet - maybe release 4.0).
Still, I think HttpClient is probably the best (in terms of features,
standards-compliance) HTTP library available for Java. And this fact has
attracted a large community so far. Further hiding HttpClient inside
Commons just doesn't make sense any longer.
The important thing for us developers is a) to be able to maintain
Bugzilla adequately and b) to be efficient without too much overhead.

Ortwin Glück aka Odi