hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: Why on earth do we differenciate between proxy and hostcredentials?
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:08:23 GMT
Hi Adrian,

All right. I give up. Evil Comrade Oleg will leave HttpState alone ;-) Besides, Roland has
made a good point. It may be a bit cumbersome to set default proxy and host credentials if
all credentials are kept in the same pool.

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Sutton [mailto:adrian@intencha.com]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 12:40
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: Why on earth do we differenciate between proxy and
hostcredentials?

On 30/1/04 1:32 AM, "Roland Weber" <ROLWEBER@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hello Oleg,
>
> from a technical standpoint, host and port would be sufficient
> to differentiate between a proxy and HTTP server on the same
> machine.

Actually it's not.  It's quite possible to have a proxy and a webserver
running on the same port on the same machine (using the same interface with
the same IP address for what it's worth).  We actually have this setup at
work on a Windows 2000 box.  I believe it works because the proxy is
essentially just a module in IIS so it's really just the one program that
behaves differently depending on it's input.  I believe the same can be
achieved with Apache using the right module.

It would be technically possible to require (or for users to desire) the use
of different credentials with such a proxy/web server combination.  I would
definitely concede that it's a very unusual case so I'm certainly not
against combining the credentials.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.

Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"