hc-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Berlin <sber...@limepeer.com>
Subject ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException while reading
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:45:21 GMT
Hi all,

Under some exceptional circumstances, reading from a SocketInputStream
can cause an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.  We have seen this occur
in many other places (non HttpClient related), and since including
HttpClient a few bugs have been reported with it as well.  The exact
cause is unknown and not easily reproduced, and the exception actually
occurs in native code (java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0).  I
suggest adding a wrapper input stream around the underlying inputstream
that extends all read-style calls, catches
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException and rethrows it as an IOException.

An example bug report demonstrating this bug can be at:
http://bugs.limewire.com/bugs/searching.jsp?l=80&c=46&m=-1_-1&os=-
1&offset=15 .  (Note that we're currently redoing the internals of the
bug server, so if that link doesn't work, you can reach the bug reports
yourself by going to http://bugs.limewire.com/bugs/search.jsp ,
choosing or typing "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException" as the
exception to search for, and choosing or typing
"org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpParser" as the class that the error
occurs in.)

Thanks,
  Sam