hc-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Shadel <timsha...@pobox.com>
Subject Recoverable error question
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:23:38 GMT
Hi.

I'm using HttpClient in an application to initial ACH checking transfers
with a bank.  I need to make a GET request, but I had questions about
the HttpRecoverableException.

When is that thrown during the communications timeline?

My challenge is that the bank processes each GET request, even if it has
the same parameters as a previous request (yes, I know that GETs should
be idempotent but I don't have a choice).  I can't charge people twice.
  I want to retry the request, though, if I know that the bank hasn't
received it (DNS failure, connection refused, connection timeout), but I
CAN'T retry it if they MAY have received the request (e.g. response read
timeout, 500 error, etc.).

I obviously want to err on the cautious side.  But I wondered if the
Exception handling in the HttpClient makes any distinction between
errors that occur before the server has (possibly) read the request, and
those that occur afterwards.

I'm a (relative) novice at the finer points of HTTP.  Any hints you have
to help me retry when possible and simultaneously avoid duplicate
submissions would be great.

Thanks,

Tim