hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException while reading
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:11:59 GMT
Ingo Brunberg wrote:
> To work around a bug in the Java VM in this manner seems a bad idea to
> me.

When making applications that work on more than one platform and more
than one JDK, working around specific implementation bugs is a very
common problem. I just remeber the drag and drop and threading
nightmares in Swing under Windows and Mac OS X under 1.3 and 1.4 from
some other project... So objections from my side.

Also I think it is good design making distinct parts of an application
(i.e. libraries) catch all unchecked exceptions and handle them in a
generic way (e.g. rethrow them as a general checked exception) to
protect other parts of the application. This improves isolation of
individual components.

Odi