hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: Next Release? What about next release version number?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:30:29 GMT
Oleg,

I think we're largely in agreement, then, but are out of alignment by a
matter of degrees.

Rather than removing classes right away, I'd like to see them deprecated
for at least one major release.  That leaves clients with the "crumbs"
that they can follow to migrate their code, rather than discovering that
their code is completely broken and must be rewritten.  So I would say
that we cannot *dump* the HttpMethod interface just yet.

As a separate design issue, I don't think HttpMethodBase *should* be
considered the "base" from which all methods must inherit.  It simply
does way too much, so I think there needs to be an intermediate class,
which I would call AbstractHttpMethod.

-Eric.

Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:

>Eric,
>I find it hard to disagree with you, being a fan of incremental, iterative development
myself. I just regret all the energy and time that went into 2.0 API compatibility workarounds
so far. If we go with 3.0 then I would like to see a few more 2.0 API breakages that had been
turned down for the sake of maintaining 2.0 compatibility, especially in the exception handling
framework. I would also suggest HttpMethod interface be completely gotten rid of and the abstract
HttpMethodBase renamed to HttpMethod.