hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: Next Release? What about next release version number?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:53:27 GMT
Oleg,

I understand your thinking, but my thinking it is that it is far more
important to release new stable releases often, rather than worrying
about their version number.  Re-exposing my bias, I strongly prefer
incremental change.  With many compliments to the incredible work that
has gone into the next release so far (the presumed 2.1, now 3.0?), I
don't see any reason to hesitate calling it 3.0.  At the same time, I
don't think that means that we should consider jumping on radical
changes beyond what has been done already.  The version number tells me
that it is not going to be a drop-in compatible change, but the small
number of API changes is actually a good thing, in that clients can
migrate quickly.

My previous comment was there only to prod for consideration of low
impact changes that might make it easier to maintain HttpClient moving
forward.

For example, the one change that occurs to me - get rid of the illusion
(delusion?) that clients could *ever* successfully implement the
HttpMethod interface.  Perhaps deprecate the interface, and override it
with an abstract base class, which clients would be expected to override
instead.  This isn't a huge change, and adds no additional
functionality, but adds a lot of flexibility for enabling backward
compatible enhancements.

-Eric.

Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:

>>Thinking about it as a 3.0 release, though, I think we should make an
>>effort to change the 3.0 API so that we're more confident of our ability
>>to make critical incremental changes.
>>

>I hate revisiting the same discussions that raged on this forum 6 months ago, but this
is exactly the point. If we decide to go 3.0, then we should stop playing 'bend 2.0 API around'
kind of games and should get down to some serious work (which would  inevitably delay the
next stable by maaaaaany months, if not years, judging by our current rate of progress)