hc-dev mailing list archives

From Maarten Bodewes <maarten.bode...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Socket to create HttpClient
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:23:01 GMT
Hi all,

I have created an application to do an HTTP post over client
authenticated SSL. This was done using Sun JRE 1.4 with JSSE and a
specific JCA provider underneath.

I followed the instructions for creating an SSL socket as described in
the SSL guide:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html

As HTTP is actually a layer on top of TCP/IP sockets, would it not be
better to be able to provide the HttpClient / HttpConnection with a
socket, or even with an input- and output stream when it is created?
There seems to be no way to create an HTTP session with  a socket as
parameter.

Otherwise, dynamic class loading could be used to return a specific /
configurable SSL or plain socket implementation instead of the ones
provided with this project.

Cheers,
Maarten

PS I've changed Protocol.java and provided my own SocketFactory as was
described in the above guide. Just to make sure: I do not need to donate
any software to the apache foundation for doing this, don't I? Not that
it would be helpful - it's very JCA provider and project specific.