hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew McGowan" <...@nynodata.no>
Subject RE: read timeout with persistent connection
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:32:15 GMT
Ortwin Gl├╝ck write:
> There is an option to disable stale checking.

Thanks, though turning stale checking off doesn't change the outcome -
the readResponse call still blocks for 30s. I don't think it's the stale
checking that's causing the problem, but for some reason the server
ignores or closes the connection after several minutes of inactivity.

Incidentally, I've tried to emulate this using IE 6, and I couldn't
reproduce the problem. I believe this is because IE closes persistent
connections itself after 60 seconds of inactivity. (See
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~cao/papers/persistent-connection.html. The paper
discusses IE 4.01 - though using a network monitor I can confirm this is
still true for IE 6.)

But, Netscape 7.1 does have the problem. If I load a page from the
server, wait a few minutes, and then try a reload, the browser hangs
until the socket times out, just as HttpClient does. The network monitor
shows the connection closed after a few minutes. As the socket is
clearly closed, I have no idea why both netscape and HttpClient can't
detect that the socket is closed.

I hacked HttpConnection to include a check to call the methods
Socket.isClosed/isConnected/isInputShutdown/isOutputShutdown to see if
these help determine if the socket is close - all of these indicate that
the socket is still alive, yet my network monitor indicates that the
connection is closed.

The only solution I can see is that perhaps HTTPClient could follow IE's
approach and close & remove free connections from the connection manager
pool after a configurable period of inactivity?

Cheers,
mat.