hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: cactus-13-1.5-rc and commons-httpclient-2.0-rc2.jar works on jdk1.4 and above only?
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:13:59 GMT
On 29/10/03 8:12 AM, "Michael Becke" <becke@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I think I've found the problem.  In 1.4, Sun added
> StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer) to compliment the existing
> StringBuffer.append(Object).  The problem is that STUPID me ran maven
> for this release with 1.4.  The method call was bound to the
> append(StringBuffer) method, since it is the best option in 1.4.  It
> looks like the build will have to be regenerated with 1.2.2.

That's probably the best option for redoing the rc2 release, however we
should change the code to be something like:
StringBuffer buf1 = new StringBuffer();
buf1.append(getOtherStringBuffer().toString());

The .toString() will make sure that we always use the .append(String) method
regardless of which JVM the build is compiled on, thus avoiding this problem
in the future.

> Does anyone what JVM is used for nightlies?

I would have thought it would be 1.4 so that projects which depend on 1.4
would compile correctly, besides GUMP is all about using the latest of
everything.

> Mike

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.