hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: NTLM Question
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:27:03 GMT
On 23/10/03 2:29 PM, "Thamm, Russell" <russell.thamm@dsto.defence.gov.au>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in using NTLM for authentication on my Apache based webdav
> server.
> I am using the Slide client (based on httpclient)
>
> I understand that HttpClient supports NTLM but requires me to supply the user
> credentials.
>
> I want to obtain the user's logon credentials from the OS and avoid requiring
> the
> user to reenter his userid and password.
>
> Any ideas on how I do that under java.

You can't.  You will have to write native code to do this as it's inherently
platform specific.  Having said that, Java 1.4.2_02 released recently does
include support for NTLM authentication without prompting the user for their
password so if you can work out how they did that and find a way to take
advantage of it with pure Java it would make a superb addition to the
contrib package.

Personally, I haven't revisited the problem since 1.4.2 came out so I can't
shed too much light on it.

> thanks
> Russell Thamm

Regards,