hc-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Berlin <sber...@limepeer.com>
Subject Re: Java 1.1.8 Status
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:12:42 GMT
Was there any significant overhead in using the 1.1 counterparts?
Vector and  Hashtable are both synchronized which might be a performance
problem if they're used often.  I don't know the internals of
HttpClient, so I can't say how often they're used.  The com.sun classes
are no issue for us, as we ship with them anyway... but I agree that a
generic Java 1.1 HttpClient should probably not have the reliance.

Thanks,
 Sam

Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:

>Sam,
>I thought that reliance on com.sun.* classes was a fairly bad idea. So I opted to replace
Java 1.2 collection classes with their Java 1.1 counterparts. That can make maintenance of
a patch against HEAD or 2.0 branch difficult.

>I did not add any new methods or classes but I could not resist the temptation of removing
all of the deprecated legacy code in HttpClient.