hc-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Berlin <sber...@limepeer.com>
Subject Java 1.1.8 Status
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:23:36 GMT
Hello everyone,

Before inquiring as to the Java 1.1.8 status, let me introduce myself.
My name is Sam Berlin, and I'm a developer for LimeWire
(www.limewire.org).  We are in the process of adding more generic HTTP
handling to LimeWire, and have run into one of the many problems with
Sun's HttpUrlConnection -- mainly, the fact that it hangs if a socket is
closed before any input is read.  It is possible to wrap all
HttpUrlConnection openings around another class and have some watchdog
thread kill them off as they hang, but ideally we wouldn't have to do
that.  The quandry brought us to looking at other http managers, and
ultimately Jakarta's HttpClient.

I have succesfully (and very easily!) managed to convert some places in
our code to using HttpClient, but we must allow backwards compability
with Java 1.1.8, as we have many MacOS 9 (and below) users.  (We still
receive 10,000+ downloads a week from Mac Classic users.)  We would very
much like to use HttpClient, as it seems to have a very
generic/extensible structure that would fit very well into other places
of our code.

Searching the archives revealed that Oleg Kalnichevski posted on Sept
23rd that he ported rc1 to be compatable with 1.1.8.  Will this process
be continuing?  Is there a 1.1.8 compatable version (or is one planned)
for rc2 and the eventual release?

Thank you in advance, and my apologies for immediately asking a question
after joining the list.
 Sam