hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Configurable HTTP Response length limit
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:56:25 GMT
If you are determined to work with a server that sends limitless
such as BEEP, with its chunks that you could consume forever.  Keep in
mind, for example, that there could be a proxy server in the middle that
thinks it should be caching the whole thing), there are two approaches:

Send the "connection: close" header on your request.  That way, when the
connection is "released" via releaseConnection(), rather than attempting
to consume the rest of the response so that the connection can be
treated as a "persistent" connection, and start reading at the next
response, the underlying socket will simply be closed directly.
Actually, if the server is sending you an "unbounded" request, it really
should be returning "connection: close" on its responses.  If we took
your suggestion and simply stopped reading the stream sent by the
server, when processing the _next_ request on the same socket, we'd run
into lots of problems.

Indicate HTTP 1.0 level support.  This should change the behavior of the
server, again triggering behavior that will close the connection, rather
than treat it as persistent.

getResponseBody() and getResponseBodyAsString() function as designed.
If you are working with extremely large or unbounded data, don't use
these functions.  You could put in a bug request for _additional_
functions that take limits, but the API is not perfectly simple, insofar
as there would need to be some way to indicate that the entire response
was not read, so it would not be sufficient for the respective functions
to return byte[] and String.  This wouldn't change the underlying need
to consume the entire response sent by the server though - we still want
to support persistent connections.

If you think there is a genuine bug here, by all means point us at a
server that causes you problems, or perhaps code for a servlet, and
client-side sample code that fails in the way you indicate.  I think I
speak for most of the developers on this group in that we are genuinely
concerned about the quality of the code, but absent a real-world
scenario, reasonable test cases, or wire logs, are very hesitant to make
API changes of the magnitude that you're suggesting.

-Eric.