hc-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Kohlschuetter ...@rrzn.uni-hannover.de>
Subject Re: Proposal: Configurable HTTP Response length limit
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:21:11 GMT
Am Samstag, 11. Oktober 2003 17:56 schrieb Michael Becke:
> I agree with Oleg here.   The real problem is the inability to terminate
> a request and force close a connection.  Having this functionality would
> help in this case as well as many others.
>
> Mike

I also agree that we need such functionality. Basically, this was the reason
for changing the code.

Any ideas how this can be done in other ways?
I think we have to collect ideas for a better solution.

HTTPClient _will_ possibly loop endlessly in HttpMethodBase.readStatusLine or
readResponseHeaders when fed with the wrong URI (chargen...).

It loops because HttpParser.readRawLine will keep reading until EOF/forever
when there's no linefeed character in the stream (isn't there a maximum
length defined for HTTP Header lines in some RFC?). And this is not
controllable by the user - you will definitely have to set a maximum length
there.

Moreover, could you agree to mark the methods getResponseBody() and
getResponseBodyAsString() as deprecated? They both rely on
getResponseBodyAsStream() (thus duplicating its functionality) and probably
result in an OutOfMemoryError because you cannot specifiy a read limit (a
128M response body as String or byte[] will definitely not fit into a 64M
JVM).

Christian