hc-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Kohlschuetter ...@rrzn.uni-hannover.de>
Subject Re: Proposal: Configurable HTTP Response length limit
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:10:16 GMT
Am Freitag, 10. Oktober 2003 18:02 schrieb Kalnichevski, Oleg:
> > I can easily provide test cases which will cause HttpClient to eat up all
> > available memory throwing an OutOfMemoryError because of reading and
> > reading from a never ending HTTP Response.
> >
> > I would regard this behaviour as a bug.
>
> Sure. The bug in the software on the server side. And the fix should be
> applied where it is due.
>
> Oleg

I think the shortest example to demonstrate HTTPClient looping endlessly is
pointing to a chargen-Service:

Enable chargen in inetd an try to access http://localhost:19/

It really does not matter from which side (server/client/user) the problem
arises, but it is HttpClient's job to handle such situations.

If HttpClient does handle stream timeouts, it should also manage
endless/malformed streams.

Christian