hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Configurable HTTP Response length limit
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:33:36 GMT
> I think the shortest example to demonstrate HTTPClient looping endlessly is
> pointing to a chargen-Service:
>
> Enable chargen in inetd an try to access http://localhost:19/
>
> It really does not matter from which side (server/client/user) the problem
> arises, but it is HttpClient's job to handle such situations.

I agree that HttpClient must be able to allow the user to handle
endless/malformed streams. Unfortunately I cannot agree with the
solution you propose.

HttpConnection (and HttpClient in general), in my humble opinion, should
make no assumptions about an input stream being 'too long/endless/not
right'. This kind of assumption is application specific and should be
enforced by that particular application. I always strongly object
incorporation of code into a general purpose library that is relevant
for a marginal number of users.

I believe that the problem would be much better solved by providing a
generic mechanism to terminate HTTP requests/HTTP responses.

Oleg