hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: SoTimeout setting
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:17:25 GMT
On Oct 27, 2003, at 6:12 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> Mike, I see what you mean. Still, no matter how I look at it,
> socket/connection timeout parameters on the HttpMethod level does not
> seem right.

Yes, I agree.  My intention would be to specify connection
configuration on a per request basis.  Though quite similar, the
difference would be that the values would not be set on a method
instance, and instead passed in to HttpClient during a method
execution.

> Let's approach the issue from a different angle. You seem to dislike
> the
> idea of exposing HttpConnection objects contained by
> MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager. What if we allowed
> HttpConnectionParams instance(s) to be retrieved given a host
> configuration (enumerated), not the HttpConnection instance(s)
> itself(themselves)?

This is a possibility, though I get the impression that people still
want to specify things at the request level.

> Besides, if I understand Fabio right, his issue is with inability to
> set
> different socket/connection timeout parameters per connection. Setting
> these parameters per method, if I understand things correctly, was
> proposed merely as a work-around

The more I think about this the more I feel like our current options
are not really what we're looking for.  It seems like we need a new
level of functionality for configuring/preparing connections between
the time they are checked out of a connection manager and the time they
are used in a method.  Any thoughts?  What are you thinking in regard
to the HttpConnectionParams/host config mapping?

Mike