hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: JDK 1.1.8 problems
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:23:17 GMT
Also possible. The problem is that with two HttpClient branches (and additional development
branch planned) to support, the least thing I want is another branch to maintain. I'll happily
pass the code onto anyone willing to maintain and keep it in sync with the official 2.0 branch,
but I do not want to have this burden to fall onto the shoulders of actual HttpClient developers
& contributors. I see taking stewardship of JRE1.1 fork as an excellent opportunity for
new people to join the project, learn HttpClient's internals and eventually start contributing
to the 'official' HttpClient branches.

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Weber [mailto:ROLWEBER@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 12:00 PM
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: JDK 1.1.8 problems

Maybe maintain a patch for the required source modifications?

Roland

Michael Becke <becke@u.washington.edu>
23.09.2003 23:39
Please respond to "Commons HttpClient Project"

        To:     Commons HttpClient Project
<commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> It took me just a few hours, but I have to say I know quite a bit about
> HttpClient's internals.

Well, I hope so:)

> This year release is going to be the last one with JRE 1.1 support as
> far as my application is concerned. I doubt I would actively maintain
> the port myself. Unless someone else steps in, the port would be pretty
> much unmaintainable.

It's such a shame for it to be dead on arrival.  It would be nice if we
could keep it tied to HttpClient directly somehow.  Other than replacing
all java.util names with the collection.jar package names what must be
done?  Would it be possible to just include some directions, an Ant
script, and a few custom classes in contrib?

Mike

For additional commands, e-mail: