hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Alford" <dalf...@appraisalforum.com>
Subject Problem with multipart post data - Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:59:38 GMT
Hi all,

I have a problem with a multipart post that I am doing to a third party
webserver. I am using a MultiPartPostMethod and adding parts to it by the
following :

 Hashtable params = transferObj.getPostParams();
    HttpMethod method;
    if (transferObj.isMultipartForm()) {
      method = new
MultipartPostMethod(transferObj.getTargetURL().toString());
      for (Enumeration e = params.elements(); e.hasMoreElements(); ) {
        Hashtable partParams = (Hashtable) e.nextElement();
        String field = (String) partParams.get("fieldName");
        if (partParams.containsKey("isFile")) {
          //file part
          byte[] data = ( (ByteArrayOutputStream)
partParams.get(CONTENT_VALUE)).
              toByteArray();
          String name = (String) partParams.get("fileName");

          String encoding = (String) partParams.get(CONTENT_ENC);
          ByteArrayPartSource part = new ByteArrayPartSource(name, data);
          FilePart filePart = new FilePart(field, part);
          ( (MultipartPostMethod) method).addPart(filePart);
        }
        else {
          //string part
          String data = (String) partParams.get(CONTENT_VALUE);
          System.out.println("setting "+field+"="+data);
          StringPart part = new StringPart(field,data);
           ( (MultipartPostMethod) method).addPart(part);

        }
      }

This correctly gets me my multipart request which I send to the server. The
problem is that the third party server doesnt seem to fully understand the
format of the post data.

It responds in xml with part of the encoding information still there, for
example:

 <TARGET="Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit AB-031717-01693-1"/>

when the data supplied as the field parameter above is "AB-031717-01693-1"
and the XML response should be

 <TARGET="AB-031717-01693-1"/>

I am using the latest rc ( httpclient 2.0-rc1).

I have two questions:
 Firstly, is this a bug or a problem with the target server?

secondly, if it is a problem with the target server, how can I disable the
output of the Content-Transfer-Encoding part of the multipart data?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Alford

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses]