hc-dev mailing list archives

From David.Co...@apcc.com
Subject Re: JDK 1.1.8 problems
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:20:17 GMT

Well I don't agree with that.  I was able to remove all calls to setBuffer
and getBuffer and now have it up and working fine with 1.1.8.  I would
agree most desktop os's have Java2 but I am using this on an embedded Real
Time OS.  And there aren't many java 2 jvm's out there for RTOS's.  If
there we a great number of problems with keeping 1.1.8 compatibility I
would agree that its not worth it.  But with the minimal amount of changes
I had to make I think it would be worth doing for us poor saps that are
forced to use 1.1.8.  It would keep us from having to fork our own version.

                    Ortwin Gl├╝ck

                    <ortwin.gluec        To:     Commons HttpClient Project

                    k@nose.ch>           <commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                                         cc:

                    08/14/2003           Subject:     Re: JDK 1.1.8 problems

                    07:03 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "Commons

                    HttpClient

                    Project"

George Gastaldi wrote:
> I don't think it would be a good idea to scramble HTTPClient's code with
> checks for < 1.2 versions.
> IMHO, the main requirement for HTTPClient MUST be Java 1.2 and above.
>
> George

Yep. Totally agreed. If your application needs to do complex HTTP stuff,
then it is too complex for 1.1.8 anyway and you should seriously
consider moving to Java 2. I mean, there is Java 2 for most OS out
there. Mac OS's community obviously is too small that they do not even
manage to provide their own Java 2 implementation.