hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: HttpClient slowness
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:38:27 GMT
Hi Pat,

There are a couple of possibilities.  Most likely one of the following
is happening:

  - You are experiencing a known slowdown due to
HttpConnection.isStale().  This causes a constant slowdown for every
method execution.  This is to ensure that a connection is still open
before it is used.  It seems to effect some platforms more than others.
  It can be disabled in each of the two connections managers by setting
connectionStaleCheckingEnabled to false.
  - You are using a 1.4.0_xx JVM.  There is a known bug in 1.4.0 JVMs
using socket timeouts.
<http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4512028.html>
  - You are using HTTPS in a pre 1.4 JVM.  Again
HttpConnection.isStale() is the culprit.  Sun JVMs < 1.4 force the
connection to be closed after calling isStale().  This means
connections must be opened for each method execution.

Mike