hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: newbie questions
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:09:29 GMT
Hi Yue,

Please see my responses below.

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 07:04 PM, Yue Luo wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am new to httpclient.  I have a few general questions about the
> library and wonder if you could help me.
>    1. HTTP 1.1 standard supports pipelining (RFC2616 section 8.1.2.2).
> looked at HttpMethodBase.java.  It seems that httpclient does not allow
> pipelining.  Is it true?  Is pipelining used in any popular browsers?

You are correct.  HttpClient does not support pipelining.  There is no
current plan to add support for it.  If it were to be added my guess is
that it would not be until 3.0, when the request/response code is split
into two separate pieces.  I think this will be required for pipelining
to work correctly.

As far as support for pipelining in browsers/web servers I have no
idea.  This is a good question.  I will look around to see if I can
find anything.  Please let us know if you make any discoveries as well.

>    2. I did not see httpclient using java.nio package.  So I guess that
> it does not provide asynchronous API either.  Is there any plan to take
> advantage of the nio package and add asynchronous API?

Yes, HttpClient is compatible down to JRE 1.2.2 and as such cannot use
nio.  There are no current plans to add pluggable nio support.

>    3. The links to mailing lists on  the page:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/mail-lists.html
>    does not work.  Will anyone put the correct link on the web?

I assume you mean the mailing list archives.  It seems that they are
not working.  Try
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=httpclient-commons-dev&r=1&w=2>.

Mike