hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject NTLM class
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:39:35 GMT
Howdy all,
In the docs for the org.apache.commons.httpclient.NTLM class is the
note:
@deprecated this class will be made package access for 2.0beta2

However the class is still public.  At this stage of the release should
we just leave the class public for 2.0 and remove it in 2.1 (or 3.0?)
or should we make it package access as planned?

Also, could someone a little more familiar with JCE and particularly
with alternate JCE implementations enlighten me as to whether or not
some of the problems people are having with using non-Sun JVMs or
non-Sun JCE implementations could be related to the static section in
NTLM.java.  In particular the lines:

String secProviderName =
System.getProperty("httpclient.security.provider",
"com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE");

java.security.Provider secProvider =
(java.security.Provider)Class.forName(secProviderName).newInstance();

Security.addProvider(secProvider);

Since I don't think we actually document the property
httpclient.security.provider anywhere (yet) I doubt people are setting
it, and thus we'd be registering the SunJCE provider if it was anywhere
on the class path.  I'd imagine that may cause a few problems, but I
know practically nothing about JCE so hopefully I'm wrong.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.
Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"
Ph: 38478913 0422236329