hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] reuse connections
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:28:45 GMT
Andreas,

A "true" response from "isStale()" tends to mean that if HttpClient did
go ahead and re-use the connection, the request would fail, usually upon
reading the response from the server. This would be unfortunate for you,
particularly with regards to "PUT", because then you would not be in any
position to know whether the server actually received the entire PUT
prior to losing the connection.

If I had to guess, what you're seeing is either a simple timing issue,
in that some servers simply close a connection after a certain amount of
idle time, or that the server to which you're connecting closes a
connection after processing a PUT request. In the latter case, ideally
the server would be sending back a "Connection: close" header to let
HttpClient know that this is what it is doing. You might turn on the
wire logging to see if this is the case.

HttpClient's particular behavior here stems from Java's inability to
detect closed connections prior to JRE 1.4. The only way to determine
whether a connection is closed is to actually read or write to the
connection, which is exactly what isStale() does.

-Eric.