hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: Connection break
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:49:00 GMT
Hi Leo,

Here are a few additions to Arian's comments.

> I cannot find a robust style in which I could drop a connection (GET
> over HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1) when the incoming data stream exceeds the
> upper limit. I do it by closing the input stream, which is constructed
> by getResponseAsStream, followed by releaseConnection. Is it OK?

This works.  It would also be okay to just release the connection.

This won't actually drop the connection but it will consume the rest of
the stream.  To force a connection close you will have to handle your
own connection management (not recommended) so that you will have access
to the HttpConnection object.

> And my last point - when I run the robot under stress conditions, some
> connections seem to be frozen, although I use setConnectionTimeout. Is
> it a known issue? How should I debug it so that you can get a valuable
> log? It happens after 1-2 hours of run, so the log could have a few
> gigas...

There are two reasons that I can think of for a connection to get
frozen.  One of them is connection timeout and the other is SO_TIMEOUT.
  SO_TIMEOUT can be set via HttpClient.setTimeout().  This is the
timeout when reading from a connection.

I hope this helps.

Mike