hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/test/org/apache/commons/httpclient TestAuthenticator.java TestHttpState.java TestHttps.java TestMethodsExternalHost.java TestWebappBasicAuth.java
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 18:27:39 GMT
Just a few comments.

The current plans for 2.1 are fairly modest and most of the changes can
be made with little or no API modifications.  The exceptions are:

Taken from
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/httpclient/
RELEASE_PLAN_2_1.txt?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>

- Removal of functions & classes deprecated in 2.0.

	This one is obvious and I think we can agree this is okay.  The one
exception is the oversight in 	Cookie.parse() but that will be fixed.

-Better exception handling framework (Bug #19868).

	This one is being debated now.  I think this change can be done
without API problems, though that is 	perhaps not the cleanest option.

- Cross-site redirect fix. Authentication, redirect & retry logic to be
moved from HttpMethodBase to HttpClient (Bug #20089, #16729).

	This is the big one.  This fix is the most requested and the most
useful I think.  This change does not 	effect method signatures but it
does change current Method behavior.

My feeling is that we should make all possible efforts to keep API
compatibility.  I do not think this is our highest priority though.
When it comes between adding 2.1 functionality and API compatibility I
think we should choose 2.1 functionality.  I think we need to weigh the
added benefit to users of new functionality against the burden of not
having the functionality because of API compatibility.

Perhaps this debate should occur on a case by case basis.  In doing so
I think it is quite possible we will come up with a solution for each
case that is satisfactory to both "sides".

Mike