hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: Handling HTTP 1.1 status 100 responses
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:50:17 GMT
Patrick,

You should not be receiving 100 status code in the first place. This is what RFC2616, paragraph
8.2.3 says:

- 100 (continue) is a provisional response, and as such must be followed by a regular response
- Unexpected 1xx status codes MUST be ignored

What it basically implies is that 1xx status codes are for HTTP agent's and HTTP target server's
internal use and should not be returned to the user

Please refer to the RFC2616 for me details
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

Just upgrade to 2.0beta2 and live happily ever after

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: patrick.baeyens@accenture.com
[mailto:patrick.baeyens@accenture.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 11:03 AM
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: RE: Handling HTTP 1.1 status 100 responses

Hi Oleg,

the HTTP 1.1. standard allows a HTTP/1.1 100 response to be sent back to
the client if:
he accepts version 1.1,
he explicitly asked for a continue (the tipical status 100 handshake) OR
just to signal the client he is processing the request and it may take a
little longer (without any explicit continue header). I find myself in this
second case and I cannot blame the server since he is compliant with the
standard. Is there any other way I can skip this first response without
having to re-execute the postMethod?

thanks a lot,

Patrick

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.