hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: cvscommit: jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/test/org/apache/commons/httpclientTestAuthenticator.javaTestHttpState.javaTestHttps.java TestMethodsExternalHost.javaTestWebappBasicAuth.java
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:13:38 GMT
Christopher,

> this thread has gotten a bit out of hand now...

As long as we manage behaving as mature people, I see no problem in talking things through

> offensive, implying that we're doing something weird by using CVS HEAD
> of HttpClient (which is totally normal at Jakarta). And your comment
> about API compatibility sounded like you don't care very much about
> preserving compatibility.

I apologize if my response sounded harsh to you. Allow me to point out, though, the problems
of maintaining 2.0 API compatibility have been discussed repeatedly on this mailing list before,
and the decision has been taken BY THE HTTPCLIENT COMMUNITY AS EARLY AS FEBRUARY that maintaining
2.0 compatibility was not feasible due to limitations of the existing architecture. It was
a very hard decision and it has not been taken lightly. I believe there was nothing that precluded
you from taking part in that decision making process and influencing its outcome. But once
the decision has been taken, I do find it a bit irresponsible, to come up with (what I see
as) demands to change the course of HttpClient development that suits best your particular
project.

We have been very explicit about API compatibility issue MONTHS IN ADVANCE: there's a 2.0
branch which will provide you with FULL API compatibility, and you will have our full support
migrating to 2.1 once is its APIs are frozen, but further development of HttpClient is not
possible without limited API changes in the 2.1 branch.

> There is a *huge* difference between "we should make all possible
> efforts to keep API compatibility" (Michael) and "we will no longer be
> able to provide API compatibility" (Oleg). And the difference might not
> even be technical ;-)

I have always been a bad guy of HttpClient community  ;-)
And will remain a bad guy as long people are not willing to listen to their counterparts'
arguments

Cheers

Evil Comrade Oleg