hc-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Csiki <robert.cs...@documentum.com>
Subject RE: Is HttpClient supported by non-Sun VMs?
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:51:52 GMT
Oleg,

That's what I was affraid of.
The only reason I wanted to use it in my applet was to solve memory issues
for large file uploads (java.net.URLConnection allways buffers the output
before sending and for large files I got out of memory error message).
The applet is part of a product that must support all Windows and Macintosh
browsers.
Having that known, I cannot use HttpClient and have to try another solution
to handle my issue.

Thank you.
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Kalnichevski, Oleg [mailto:oleg.kalnichevski@bearingpoint.com]
Sent: July 3, 2003 10:42 AM
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: RE: Is HttpClient supported by non-Sun VMs?

Robert,
If my memory does not fail me, IE is shipped with Microsoft JVM 1.1.4.
HttpClient requires a Java 2 compatible (1.2.x and above) JVM.  I am afraid
your only option is to deploy Sun's Java plug-in for IE if you want to be
using HttpClient in an applet. As to Mac OS 9.x, to my best knowledge, Java
2 is not even officially supported by Apple on that platform. The highest
JVM version supported on MacOS 9.x is 1.1.8.

Oleg