hc-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Moran <mike_mo...@mac.com>
Subject Re: normalizing a URI with ..'s in it ?
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:53:29 GMT
Michael Becke wrote:
> Though I agree this seems a little strange I am not sure it's a bug.
> URI.normalize() is using the algorithm defined at
> <http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/issues.html> which
> corresponds to the latest update(I believe) to rfc2396.

[ removed algorithm ]

Btw, I presume this is the algorithm given in section 5.2 of
http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#absolutize?
  If so, this is just a draft (draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03.txt). It
does actually differ from rfc2396 in how it handles abnormal URLs
(though I think that's irrelevant here).

> And we're done.  Perhaps we should send and email to URI@w3.org and see
> if they have any input.  Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

The string "my/relative/../../another/relative" would never be output
from merge() or given to remove_dot_segments() in the section 5.2
algorithm. If you are just applying remove_dot_segments() to this string
then it will get confused and output a wierd answer because it's not
expecting that input (ie a path that doesn't have a "/" at the start).

I may be wrong, but I didn't think normalization could be applied to
anything but absolute URLs.

--
Mike