hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Add commons-codec as an HttpClient dependency
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:26:26 GMT
Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:
> Right, but the problem is those folks who use CVS snapshots while
> insisting on complete (maximum) API compatibility with 2.0 branch.
> They have not been quite receptive to 'but it was part of our plan
> for 2.1' kind of arguments up to now.
>
> Of course, I can put up the same 'Evil Comrade' act as always, but I
> have a feeling that some of them did not quite appreciate my sarcasm.

No need to resort to the 'Evil Comrade'.

I have been looking into standard versioning techniques
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/versioning.html> in order to get some
perspective on this.

On the positive side, it seems that for a minor release (what we are
doing) it is okay to add an external dependency.  So, if we ever plan to
add codec we might as well do it now.

On the negative side, we are supposed to be making only
external-interface-compatible changes.  In general this has been our
goal, but we have removed some deprecated methods which is a no-no.  We
may also have some difficulty with this when it comes to redirects.

This makes we wonder if our plans for 2.1 are compatible with a minor
release.  Granted we can bend the rules a little with the consensus of
HttpClient users but I want to keep from going too far.

I suggest we consider resurrecting the removed deprecated code (ever
though it was nasty and I am glad it is gone).  I also think we should
start looking closely at how we will accomplish our plan to move
redirect/retry logic to HttpClient.

Mike